- Keep fingernails dry and clean. This prevents bacteria from growing under your fingernails. Repeated or prolonged contact with water can contribute to split fingernails. Wear cotton-lined rubber gloves when washing dishes, cleaning or using harsh chemicals. I always wear gloves when cleaning.
- Practice good nail hygiene. Use a sharp manicure scissors or clippers. Trim your nails straight across, then round the tips in a gentle curve.
- Use moisturizer. When you use hand lotion, rub the lotion into your fingernails and cuticles, too. I also use cuticle oil whenever I can.
- Apply a protective layer. Applying a nail hardener might help strengthen nails. I use this on my nails and I think it helps.
- Ask your doctor about biotin. Some research suggests that the nutritional supplement biotin might help strengthen weak or brittle fingernails.
My fave products for gorgeous nails (contains affiliate links – I may get a small percentage of a purchase – no extra cost to you).