Whether your nails are short by design (you want them that way) or they just don’t grow as fast as you’d like, there are a few things you can do to make them look nice, healthy, and a little bit longer.
- Moisturize your nails-yes your nails. Most of us moisturize our hands, but who thinks to moisturize their nails too? If you use a good nail oil or moisturizer designed to improve strength and shine, you’ll notice a difference almost immediately.
- Keep your cuticles healthy. They are more important than you think and can make or break even the nicest manicure. Gently pushing them back with an orange stick will give you a bit more nail space to work with making your nails appear longer and neater.
- Speaking of Cuticles, be sure to use cuticle oil and soak them before you push them back. You should never cut your cuticles — they are necessary to protect your nails from infection.
- File Your Nails. You might think that because your nails are short they don’t need to be filed. But filing your nails not only keeps them from looking ragged, but it also helps strengthen the tips. Remember to always file in one direction, not a sawing motion. Speaking of nail files, you might want to think about investing in a good glass nail file. They are so much better for your nails and will last forever. Well maybe not forever but a long time. When filing, try to give your nails a rounded shape rather than straight across.
- Buff Your Nails: If you prefer not to use nail polish, no worries but you should still buff them to a bit of a shine to keep them looking great. Besides making them look nice without polish, buffing will smooth out the surface for a softer look. Also if you choose to use liquid polish or nail polish strips, buffing your nails will ensure that they are completely dry, which will help the polish adhere better.
Honestly, it’s way better to have shorter, nicely shaped, healthy nails than to have long ragged nails of different lengths and ugly cuticles. So carry a nail file around with you and commit to a moisturizing and cuticle oil routine. Your nails will thank you by looking their best.